R40 000 – R45 000
A global logistics and warehousing company offering solutions for customers including producers, consumers, and banks is looking for a Customs Manger to join their team in Johannesburg. In this role you will be responsible for daily customs operational requirements: plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the activities of their respective departments or establishments by supervising and mentoring the Customs Brokers and Clerks. Evaluate, implement and maintain customs function in relation to the prescribed customs and SARS laws and regulations. To provide in-house Customs-related consultative expertise for all business departments, for both external and internal customers.
- 3+ years management experience within the same/similar field
- Relevant qualification would be an added advantage
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Self-motivated and proactive
- No criminal records
- Proficient in Excel, Word, Outlook Express, and the ability to learn other software programs.
- Good writing and verbal communication skills
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to work under pressure and to consistently meet deadlines
- Ability to prioritise and organise workload with a sense of urgency
- Work experience in relevant field
- Ability to work flexible hours, including some weekends
- Able to handle a demanding customer environment
- Good problem solving and decision-making skills
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Overseeing Customs departments with a hands-on approach
- Bonded cargo – WE, XE, RIT, RIB, XIB, XRW entries
- Bond book management
- Export clearing (Air and Road)
- Import clearing (Sea and Air)
- Temporary imports/exports clearance and following up customs examinations and provisional payments
- Acquittals – follow up and acquit bonded cargo
- PP Liquidations – following up on liquidations and refunds
- Customs queries and customs stops
- Knowledge of Incoterms
- Ensure that SOPs are adhered to at all times
- Attend to all customs /SARS queries and resolve in a satisfactory, timely manor
- Calculation of applicable VAT and Duties
- High level of customer service expected at all times.
- Weekly reporting to management
- Daily interaction with clients, suppliers and service providers
- Regular updates to clients, service providers and team members
- Effective use of e-mail communications
- Maintain a good professional relationship with service providers, customers, and team.
- Clearing all shipment files according to customs regulations and updating team member of the shipment clearing status and additional requirements
- Advise management immediately of any issues with suppliers or clients.
- Reporting any irregularities of any kind.
- Advise management immediately when agreed procedures cannot be conformed to.
- The ability to work extended hours and weekends dependant on shipment requirements.
- The ability to fill roles for any staff member within the department.
- Self-motivated individual.
- Adherence to Companies policies and procedures.
- Perform any other reasonable duties as required by Management.
- Maintain staff morale at all times.